Wednesday, March 31, 2010

HIS Kids.

Me and the girls were invited to see the new Miley Cyrus movie on Friday.   We dont let the kids watch stuff like Hannah Montannah on the Disney channel, or see movies that have anything about young kids having dating relationship.  Its a choice we feel is neccessary, especially with the backgrounds they come with.
So when this lovely friend, who is going through a tough spot invited us, I really wanted to say yes, just becuase I want to be a friend to her.  And I know her girls need friends like Madi who will encourage the heck out of em!  I also didnt want to say that we dont watch that type of movies... I didnt want to offend her.  She is a Christian... I know she loves the Lord and is doing a good job with her gorgeous girls, but becuase of her life circumstances right now, I didnt want to make her feel bad.  So I skirted around it.. and I never had to say that we dont watch that stuff.

Now, Im wondering why I didnt say it?  Her girls need to learn that the only relationship they need is the one they have with God, becuase in His timing, they will find the man for them... not by dating tons of guys.  (oh, I dont actually know what this movie is about, but its based on a romance novel, so I'm assuming).  Maybe God wanted me to be the catalyst for this woman to start thinking about the garbage she is allowing entrance into her girls hearts?  Maybe I was supposed to just be honest with her.  Who knows.  God does.. so I'm praying for another chance if I'm supposed to have it.

On another note about this whole thing, is the fact that I almost said yes.  That I almost thought, "One movie wont hurt"!  No, maybe not, but its setting a precedence.  Its saying, well, its ok sometimes to watch things that our concience (i.e. GOD) is saying isnt good for us.  Its telling them, its ok to bend the rules.  To do what we want, not what we are supposed to do.

Im not saying that everyone reading this is supposed to follow the same plan.. that is truly 100% between you, God, and your family.  Mike and I beleive that we are to protect our kids hearts, while being honest and straightforward with them about dating and relationships and the "real" world.  I dont want my kids to learn about dating from Miley Cyrus.  Or about drugs from a song.  Or sex from a movie.  Those are important things that I want to teach them about.  So we are very careful about what they watch.  We monitor the shows the watch, and we really only ever listen to "Christian music".  And for that matter, we monitor the amount of tv and movies they watch... a lot.  Becuase we feel its important.  We feel that this is how God is asking us to raise our children.  How He wants HIS babies raised.  His.  Cause they all are His.  So, yeah,I consult Him when it comes to what I do for my children.  :o) Well, HIS children!!  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love... Id like to hear your opinions, your thoughts, comments, suggestions, anything.