Friday, March 12, 2010

Lots to tell...

The girls are at their respite home.  The mom seemed nice... and they were respiting another little girl who was 6, and seemed like someone Kiki would love to "big sister", and someone Jay would enjoy playing with. 
Jay had her excited face on the outside, but I could tell there was a bit of anxiety on the surface.  Kiki was just downright unhappy and nervous.  My hope is to set up regular respites with the same family so that they can be comfortable there and we can send them there knowing they are settled, happy, and feel a little bit at home.

Today Madi started a new dosage of her medicine.. and it wasnt a good transition.  She was more unfocused, and more distracted than she has been, but I'm hoping its just the change in dosage.  If she is like this for 4 days, then we are either going back to the old dosage or trying a new med.  I was soooo happy with the change in her with the first level, I was hoping this change wold be the icing on the cake... but we cant win all the time! :o)

Yesterday I finially got a hold of Jay's teacher, and we are both about 99% sure she has ADD, or as the new DSM names it, ADHD- predominantly inattentive.  I didnt really know much about it, but its like ADHD, only without the hyper activity, and is marked by a total lack of attention.  Basically every criteria for it, Jay meets to the fullest extent.  I was amazed.   Shes not crazy hyper like Madi, she doesnt move around constantly, she sleeps a lot, likes naps, and can come across lazy.  Madi, in those regards is the exact opposite!!  Its amazing to look at these 2 kids and see how different they are... but they have the same disorder.  I talked to her counselor, but he is more the "feeling" type and wants to explore her feelings more. He seems to think its just becuase she is a foster kid and is going through all this stuff.  Kiki says she always been like this.  I believe the issue is exacerbated by the foster kid stuff, but the adhd has been there for a while.  Basically she is failing 3rd grade.  So this needs to be fixed NOW... not AFTER we sort out her feelings.  So I am pushing for a psych eval, like yesterday.  She needs to be put on meds asap.  My hope is to get her settled on some meds, and then, if she is still here over the summer, to try the diet remedies and stuff like that. 

On that front... the girls mom had court on thursday, and the judge approved the permanacy plan... which basically means, that mom has to start meeting certain criteria.  The next court date isnt until May, so she has a good chunk of time to really work on getting her stuff together.  My fear is that they will end up having parental rights terminated because mom is enjoying not being mom!  She is in her late 30s, and has been a mom since she was in her teens.... so it seems now that she isnt "mom" she is living the life she would have in her 20s.  She got her tongue peirced and isn't working, and is moving around and has a new "boyfriend".  I am worried for her.

Thats it for now... I have lots more to share.  I got Kiki's progress report today... yikes!  And I have to vent about the judge.  And I'll have to share more about the fun we are going to have with Madi this weekend! :o)  So stayed tuned... and keep praying for the girls!!!

3 comments:

  1. Praying.....and I hear you about judges!!! They made me crazy- a lot!!! Will stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you all get a needed break with the respite. I just got a new little foster kid last night, but I think it will be very short term.

    What are your thoughts on homeschooling? Are you still thinking about it? Have a great weekend.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love... Id like to hear your opinions, your thoughts, comments, suggestions, anything.