Friday, May 21, 2010

Local Rocks!

Ok... so after my afternoon bout of insanity (yea, we were blaming that on sunstroke)... I thought I would post something a little lighter!! :o)

LOCAL STUFF!!!
I love local stuff.  I love going to local festivals and fairs and carnivals and food markets and flea markets.  And I love local businesses... mom and pop shops, old world style pizza places, family owned farm stands... anything local.

Tonight, we took the kids to the carnival that is running in our tiny town.  It was different than other carnivals we have been too... sure they had the rides, the faux corn dogs, the crazy games, and the screaming teenagers... but this one had some food stands run by local people.  Oh my.  GOOD FOOD!  There was a stand run by some lovely people from El Salvador, and they had tostadas with this crab cerviche... YUM.  And popusas... I havent ever had them, but they rocked.  They served them with a sort of cole slaw.  It was cabbage, but no mayo.  And I think it was more lime juice then vinegar.  Delish.  They also had a stand with burritos and tacos and it was very mexican... and not cheesey tex mex, but more caribbean mexican.  The flavor on the food reminded me a lot of stuff we had in this hole in the wall resturant near Cozumel.  Again I say...Delish.  :o)
Of course my lovely latino kids wouldnt touch it and my completely non-latino loved every bite of it all.  My kids are kinda crazy.  Seriously... Jay and Kiki wouldnt eat it.  Especially Kiki.. she hates any type of latin foods... its odd.  She had a slice of pizza.  Go figure.

Anyways... I have a small plan for tomorrow.  We have a lot of housework to do... and I am singing at all 3 services this weekend (one on Saturday and two on Sunday), and we are picking up the newest member of the family sometime tomorrow.  Precious the Pug (my best friends dog) is our new member.  Not sure how this is gonna go... but we wanted to make sure Tammy and Josh and the kids (who just moved from Illinois to Virginia) could see their puppy whenever they wanted.  Anyways... if we have time, I am taking the kids to an awesome family owned farm called Barefoot Farms to pick strawberries!!  YUM!  Im not sure how its going to go... especially since Kiki hates strawberries and Jay hates ANY type of manual labor.  Seriously.  Anything that would constitute work and she is out like a scared bunny.  But Miss Madi (my child who loves any and ALLLLL things strawberry) is looking forward to picking them herself!  So for her.. we go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love... Id like to hear your opinions, your thoughts, comments, suggestions, anything.