Friday, September 18, 2009

The End of an Age


Clarence Altland, otherwise know as Pete to the world is my grandpa.  The past few years, he hasnt been so much of the grandpa I knew due to the alzhiemers that has attacked his brain, but before that he was a wonderful Papal.  I remember him always having a hug for me, always having time for me, and always loving me.
He cleaned the church I grew up in for years, mowing the lawn, vacumming, clearing the communion cups, and lots of other tasks.  He had an "office" and I loved going in there.  The lost and found box was a treasure trove to a young girl, and he had stuff marked so that if it had ben in there for more than a certain time it would either go to the goodwill or me! :o)  It was mostly little junk and trinkets, but he knew I thought it was wonderful, so he always let me riffle through it.
One thing about both my grandparents, Papal and my Mamal (Betty), they always supported my dreams... especially my dream of music.  Before my Papal's disease really got a hole of his brain, he told me one day that he loved my voice.  He loved the way I sang and played and that it reminded him of grandma (who taught me to play piano) and he asked me to sing at his funeral one day.  I laughingly said yes, subconsiously feeling as tho my Papal was immortal, so i would never have to do it.
Hes old.  He is mortal.  And today Im facing his mortality in a strong way.  My poor papal has gangrene and it probably has gone septic.  Its the End.  They are bringing in the morphone drip and the hospital bed.  He cant walk anymore and is in a lot of pain.  Its The End of an Age.
My grandparents have been together for ever!!  I know the best sceneario is for Papal to go first, because he couldnt live without his "sweetie".  But my heart breaks for my grandma and the loss that she will have to face.  The end of her lifetime with her true love.
If you read this.. please pray for Pete.  Pray for Betty.  And pray for my family.  My family has a lot of people who like to be drama queens and who seems to know just how to make life miserable for others and this isnt the time for it.  Pray for peace within my family.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Dana, what a bitter-sweet post. He reminds me a lot of my memory of grandpa. I feel so much of the same things for the man I loved as grandpa. I am praying for you and your family to have God's gift of peace and understanding through this sad time.
    This is beautifully written. It truly shows the heart of a granddaughters love.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love... Id like to hear your opinions, your thoughts, comments, suggestions, anything.