Saturday, November 21, 2009

Kid-Free

We are KID-FREE!!  (and feeling slightly guilty).

We have had Madi for 1 year 3 months and 7 days.  During that time, we have never put her on respite.  We did go away for a weekend 2 times and left her with my mom and on a week long missions trip.   She also spent a week at a special foster kids overnight camp (Royal Family Kids Camp-amazing!!).  But we never left her with another family.  And this weekend, after a week that left both Mike and I, drained, defeated, and stressed, we felt the need for the first time to send all 3 kids away.  So we did.  Madi and Bubba went to a family that we have never met (scary... seriously).  And Dee Dee went to a family right up the road that has had Dee Dee for a few hours a couple of times.  Two of thier kids ride the same bus as the girls, so we feel comfortable with them.  Their house is totally CRAZY, but Dee Dee seems to do fine with it.
So since about 1pm today, I have been childless and its weird.  Nice... but weird.  It was necessary too... I got to relax and destress and nap today for the first time in a long time.  Mike and I are relaxing and watching TV and not worrying about children waking up or not falling asleep, or who is touching who, or who is telling on who.  Or who is hitting who.  And thats the easy part of our jobs lately.  We are dealing with  Dee's admission of abuse by her parents, endless appts to determine what exactly is going on with her, the changing of meds, the serious change in mood and behavior becuase of all the med switches, AND she has decided to not sleep.  Seriously.
On top of that... Madi has been acting out a LOT lately.  We had an evaul for her and the doc says she thinks its a delayed adjustment disorder and stress over the adoption.  So we are starting family based counseling with her soon.  IN the meantime... lots of timeouts, lots of stress, lots of crying, and lots of screaming (on her part... mostly.)  And we had court an hour and half away for Madi this week too.
Plus, regular cousneling for both girls, Early Intervention services for Bubba, parental visits for Bubba and Dee, physicals, WIC appts, dentals, and paperwork.  Lots n lots of paperwork. 
On thursday alone, we had 5 apppts.  And without my mom, we wouldnt have made one of them... an EEG for Dee Dee over an hour away. 
Needless to say... Im feeling so overwhelmed.  I knew that having 3 kids would be hard work, but all of this at one time... yeah, I wasnt prepared for it. 
Thank the Lord for my mom.   I know this summer we had a lot of issues, but my mom seems to have balanced out and we have mended broken bridges.  My mother in law even helped with facilitaing all the stuff we had this week.  Its a family affair!! We need the village to raise this bunch! haha! :o)  My mom even brings ME coffee when she comes to help with the kids.  Thats love! :o)
I say all this... and re-read it and pray it doesnt come across as complaining.  I am so thankful that I have a chance to have these kids.  To be momma to 3 very special wonderful (if not a little crazy) kids.  Im so happy to see them grow and learn about God and learn about themselves.  I honestly wouldnt trade this life for any other.
All that said,  we needed a break.  I think I learned this week that I am not invincible.  I am not Super Mom alone.  It is God ahead of me, my husband beside me, and mu family behind me making me Super mom.  So I need to learn to ask for help... thus... the resipte for the 3 kids! :o)

1 comment:

  1. Okay I left a comment, but it didn't show up..Hmm.. Don't feel guilty about using respite. Parenting is hard work, and parenting children with behavior issues/mood disorders is 10000000 times more work!

    We have used respite for Lil' man 3 times in the last 7 months. We cant use a baby sitter, because their just not trained to deal with his behaviors.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love... Id like to hear your opinions, your thoughts, comments, suggestions, anything.