Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Momma In Need Of Help! :o)

Well.. we did have a good Christmas.  Some drama, but not unbearable!!
The kids were really blessed with tons of presents, including a trampoline from us!  I cant wait until Mike sets it up... I wanna jump on it! Haha!! :o)
We really had a lot of fun with family and friends... and for the first time in years and years, we were able to celebrate Christmas with my best friend and her hubby and kids.  We played Wii Dance and Wii Party... and had a blast!!  We exchanged gifts and had dinner... truly one of my favorite parts of the week!!!
We are really struggling with Madi and her total lack of impulse control.  She wants to do good, but just keeps making bad choices because she is just not thinking about them before she makes them.  This has resulted in her damaging things in our home and even damaging some of her most prized possesions.  She has always been so careful and loving towards her things, that the willful destruction of stuff has really taken us by surprise. 

She has also be disobeying a lot.  Doing things she absolutly knows she shouldnt but has decided she either doesnt care about the rules, or thinks she wont get caught. 

It has me on edge... wndering what she will do next... if she will damage something, or do something that could cause her or us harm.  And I dont know how to stop it.  I have tried many different consequences for the actions... but none are working and its been going on for over a month.

So, I am asking for some prayer... and also advice.  Have any of you parents been down this road??  What did you do? 

This momma needs some help!!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like she is experiencing some anxiety with all of the holiday excitement. I find that when consequences stop working, I have to make the change in my thinking in using them. Sometimes I have to make my kids world pretty small to reduce their anxiety. I keep them pretty close to me using "tomato staking" and reduce "things" that they have to care for, opting for a stress ball or something like that to keep in their hands.

    Hope you all find some relief and enjoy the New Year.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Partly the holidays I am sure! Praying!!!! We have behaviors that used to really drive me nuts &send me over the edge....now we make it simple- basic plan or not. Removes guilt from me and puts the child in the receiving end. Love the suggestions above too. Have you ever thought of rocking with her daily???? Some of my bloggy friends have suggested this....getting a rocking chair myself for this. A gift to myself for me and my children too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been down this road and unfortunately am still on this road. I have one that acts before he thinks all the time and no matter what talking or discipline we've done hasn't lessened it at all. I'm finding that my anxiety (due to his behaviors) compounds it and that I sometimes need to lower my expectations alot. That doesn't mean he has free reign to destroy and damage it just means I need to remember he has been damaged greatly in his past and he is still healing. I wouldn't expect a deep,open wound to heal quickly and I am learning that a deep, open wound inside takes way longer than I ever dreamed to come to a place of healing and wholeness.

    I will pray for you and peace for sweet Madi girl!!
    Much love!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have DEFINITELY been there done that. I will be praying. Need to get together with you soon, too... I miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love... Id like to hear your opinions, your thoughts, comments, suggestions, anything.