Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Getting over it?

I posted a status on facebook yesterday.  And I got a snarky comment on someone elses status in response.  Dont know if this person reads my blogs... and I guess I dont really care, but I wanted address the thought behind the snarkiness.  Not in a defense, or nastily... just felt like a lot of people just dont "get it".


My status was about our day.. all we did and what we were going to be doing that evening.  At the end, I said, "and Madi is off her meds, so it made all this stuff seems longer, harder, and more stressful."
I was then accused of "playing the victim".  And I "signed up for it, so get over it".

I dont think even the most educated foster prent knows what they are truly getting into when they "sign up for it".  But thats not even the point.

When Madi is on her meds, she is not a normal child.  It does not make her suddenly become this perfect, wonderful raised from birth child.  Its not a magic pill.  Even on her meds, she doesnt do much cause and affect thinking, she is super impulsive, she interupts constantly, cries easily, gets her feelings hurt all the time, is obbsessive about things and is super super super paranoid and scared.  Like more scared than you and I can imagine.  But, she is more focused, she can do things for a longer period of time, has more reasoning skills, and is much less mean becuase she is much less frustrated at life.  But, she also is more distant and doesnt give as much "lovies".

When Madi is not on her meds, like now, she is the poster child for ADHD, attatchment disorders, and the affect of abuse and neglect on a kid.  She is mean and nasty.  Angry a lot.  She is so hyper, she cant sit still and cant focus at all.  She is not at all logical, interupts constantly, is ridiculously impulsive, repeats almost everything you say and she does things she knows she isnt supposed to do, becuase she has absolutly no cause and affect thinking.  But she isnt scared of much.  She does give tons of lovies, and she has more life in her eyes.

Either way... Madi is not an easy child.  She will never be an easy kid.  Thats just the way it is.  Its stressful to be the one who constantly has to keep her on track becuase she cant keep herself on track.  Especially without meds.  It makes the days longer... it makes every task you do with her a stressful task.  But... its ok.  Im not really complaining.  Im not saying I wish it wasnt different, Im just saying that I cand eal with.  I am dealing with it, and will continue to deal with until I die becuase she is my child and I am commited to helping her.  So when I post a frustrating... its ok.  Im ok.  Its just life!  God has given us this kid and we prayerfully parent her.  We look to God when things are easy and when they get rough.  Its Godly wisdom that we strive for.  But God made me... me... so He knows that I may need to vent sometimes and that I need Grace as much as the next momma... probabaly more!!

Side note... Madi is off her meds becuase we are going to try a new one to try to get rid of the extreme paranoia and fear.  Its so bad, its actually going into a psychosis... its hard to explain if you havent seen it, so Im not even going to try.  We are letting her system get back to normal.. drug free before starting her on a new med.  She has her appt next Tuesday.

I think that no matter how many blogs I post, and and status' I update, you will never be able to understand without being there.  Without having done this.  Parenting a child like Madi is an experience I will never have the words to adequetly express.  So, please... dont judge us.  Dont judge the special needs parents either.  I may yell at her.. and I may sometimes seem like a crazy lady with her, but she is safe and happy and healthy and that makes me a good momma.

Right now there is a case in the PA legal system that is about 2 parents who possibly beat and starved there russian-born son.  There are days when I ball my fists in frustration to keep me from smacking Madi, but I would never abuse her.   So, Im not playing the victim.. I am the victor in JESUS.  I did sign up for this, but the day I "get over it" is the day I dont care... and then what kind of parent would I be?!  :o) 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing.

    Sorry things have been extra hard lately.

    A few months ago, a blog that I regularly read wrote a post that was most probably about my blog. No names, but definitely made me think it was me she was writing about. It was along the same lines ... "I'm not going to read this blog anymore because this woman just wants us to feel sorry for her" type of blog post. (Kind of weird that she would actually feel the need to write the post.)

    I've been blogging for nearly 3 years. My blog has been very upbeat, positive, encouraging. However, the past 6 months have been TOUGH at our house. Very tough! So, I've been honest.

    You know ... I don't want to put on a "happily ever after" smile. I don't want to pretend that older child adoption doesn't come with it's own unique challenges. I want to be real. I want to be honest.

    I am not looking for sympathy ... just a bit of understanding. I'm not playing the victim ... just being real.

    Keep sharing. Keep being real. Those of us who have walked the tough journey of adoption (and/or foster care) are here to walk by your side, even on the bad days.

    Hugs!

    Laurel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard for parents who haven't been there! I am with you. There are just things that some people won't ever get- it's ok. I understand your frustration. Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that Madi has you to commit to her even through this time of changing meds. Any one who has ever parented a difficult child would never give that kind of feedback. Praying for you and her precious little body as it adjust and re-centers.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray for grace for you and your family. Being a parent is hard enough. Foster parenting has its own unique rewards and challenges. It takes a very special person and calling to be able to handle it at all and it sounds to me like you do an amazing job. You do what the vast majority of people are either unwilling or unable to do. I hope you will be getting a lot more enocouragement instead of frustrations from your comments. Blessings for your entire family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You speak it girl! I "get it" friend, I "get it"!
    Praying for Madi right now and for you as you continue to be the perfect mom for her!
    Much love and big hugs!
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE YOU!!! Trust me, those of us with kids on meds and health issues of our own, some of us do understand and I would NEVER say you are one of those "victim people" on Facebook. I know some people who MIGHT be considered that, but you are by far not. VICTOR not VICTIM is right!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love... Id like to hear your opinions, your thoughts, comments, suggestions, anything.